Scholarly and Research Incentive Funds (SARIF) are selectively awarded by the Office of Research to cover the costs of faculty research programs, proposals, travel, equipment purchases, administrative fees, and other necessary resources.
The college will contribute matching funds for faculty members to travel overseas to give presentations at professional conferences. Detailed instructions and eligibility criteria can be viewed here. Cathy Parks handles logistics for the college.
Faculty members will be supported if they are giving presentations at professional conferences. Heads should verify that the conference is indeed of high value professionally, based on standards of your discipline. The geographic regions covered will not include North America or the Caribbean, consistent with the policy of ORE.
Pre-tenure faculty members will receive support of up to $800 per trip, with one trip supported per fiscal year.
In most cases, faculty members who have tenure will receive support of up to $500 per trip, with on trip supported per fiscal year. In exceptional cases, such as the faculty member being invited to give a keynote address, the support will be up to $800.
Faculty members who have other sources of funds, such as start-up funds or external grans or contracts, should use those fuds for travel rather than requesting college support. This may need to be explained to the new faculty members whose start-up packages are not large enough to require an itemized budget.
How to begin a foreign travel request and apply for reimbursement:
- Send your request via e-mail to your department head. Please include attachments regarding your trip such as registration and conference information, letters of support, etc. Your request should include all the details of your trip, as well as a short budget.
- Your department head will e-mail Chris Boake with a letter of support and will forward your e-mail and attachments.
- Chris will review each request. Following her approval, she will send a message of support to the Office of Research and cc the department head.
- Responses from the Office of Research are delivered via e-mail to your department head and to the college.
- Please charge your travel expenses to your department. After the trip, your department should send us electronic copies of the receipts along with a request for reimbursement. Send all receipts to Cathy Parks.
The Exhibit, Performance, and Publication Expenses Fund helps cover the costs of disseminating the results of scholarly activity through publication, performance, or exhibit. EPPE funding is for works that have already been accepted.
Faculty can and should request matching funds from the college. More information on the EPPE fund is available from the Office of Research.
The Opportunities Fund is to help faculty who are in the preliminary stages of research. The funds are usually used for pilot studies, seed money for new research activities, or workshops and conferences held at UT that are organized by faculty. The funds are awarded to full-time, tenure-track faculty only.
Faculty can and should request matching funds from the college. More information on the Opportunities Fund is available from the Office of Research.
A request for proposals for equipment is issued early each Fall, with the deadline for submissions being around the end of September. As soon as the call is issued, the College office sends a follow-up memo to all A&S departments with instructions for the procedure if a request will include a contribution from A&S. ORE expects the combination of individual, departmental and College funds to cover at least 50% of the total cost, and would prefer more. For more information, CLICK HERE.