Skip to content Skip to main navigation Report an accessibility issue

University Exploratory Students

Many students are undecided about their major when they enter the university. All undecided students are designated University Students and are advised by Arts and Sciences Advising Services. While it is proper to explore alternative choices, students should also pursue a course of study that culminates in graduation. For this reason, there is a limit to the length of time students may remain University Students.

“At the completion of 45 hours, University Students who have entered the University of Tennessee as freshmen must associate with a college or officially declare a major prior to the end of the next term of enrollment.” (Undergraduate Catalog, pg. 42). 

Advising Center Contacts

Center for Career Development

Still exploring majors and don’t know what to take next semester?

Meeting with a career counselor can make an advising appointment more productive. Students are encouraged to call 974-5435 to schedule an appointment at the Center for Career Development. Some students may find it helpful to take the Strong Interest Inventory before meeting with a counselor. Students should also check out What Can I Do With This Major? to find lots of great information about the majors offered at UT.