August 14, UT faculty and staff received 2019 security awareness training assignments. The training must be completed by November 30, 2019, to collect the completion numbers and report to the UT Board of Trustees. The training is required to be completed annual.
Please note the following:
- Current Faculty and Staff as of August 14, 2019, will be assigned five modules to complete. New employees will be assigned ten modules.
- Graduate Assistants with 9- and 12-month appointments will be assigned five modules and tracked in IRIS.
- Automatic emails will originate from firstname.lastname@example.org instead of a “no-reply” non-UT address. The links in the email direct users to a landing page that explains the training. There is a link on that page that will direct users to the K@TE login page.
- The training is being delivered through K@TE, the University of Tennessee’s comprehensive Learning Management System for training and professional development. The beauty of this is that completed training will be loaded to IRIS the morning after it’s completed so it will be reflected in personnel training records.
- Newly-hired employees are automatically added and assigned training.
- There is a report available in IRIS (ZHR_QUALCOMP_REP) that departments can run to keep up with who has or has not completed their training.
The IT Security Awareness training is created by SANS, one of the most trusted source for information security training, certification, and research in the world. Twenty-five years of experience in cyber security strategy and training. SANS utilizes the world’s best cyber threat experts and a fleet of learning behavior professionals, making them the best choice for security awareness training. IT threats change rapidly. Therefore, the training must be updated to reflect new threats. SANS reviews the content and updates the training annually, so you are sure to receive the most up-to-date training.
In October 2014, UT Policy “IT0123 – Security Awareness, Training, and Education” went into effect. The policy requires that each campus develop plans and procedures to ensure that staff have the opportunity to receive role-based security training. The training consists of several videos that cover specific security topics. The videos range anywhere from one to seven minutes in length and are intended to raise awareness and influence user behavior that will reduce security risks. The training allows the users to complete the training at their own pace, monitor their progress, and revisit completed training. Users having questions on the validity of the training emails or having difficulty in completing the training should call the OIT HelpDesk at 865-974-9900.