The council is to be composed of the dean of the college, one associate dean, and one representative elected by each of the academic departments. Persons holding joint administrative/faculty appointments are not eligible for election. One associate dean shall act as secretary to this body.
New members shall begin their terms in the succeeding fall semester. Members shall serve three-year terms. No member of the council may be re-elected or re-appointed in the year in which his or her term expires. Vacancies in membership shall be filled by the department.
Organization and Meetings of the Council
The Advisory Council shall be chaired by the dean of the college. Regular meetings of the council shall be held at least twice each semester. The dean may call other meetings at his or her discretion or at the request of at least five members of the council. The agenda for all regularly scheduled meetings shall be distributed to all members at least one week in advance.
Functions of the Advisory Council
The Advisory Council shall perform the following functions:
- It shall advise the dean on the agenda of faculty meetings and shall have the prerogative to place items on the agenda.
- It shall recommend to the dean criteria and procedures for selection of designated college deans, directors, and department heads.
- The council shall advise and counsel the dean in matters pertaining to planning and program development of the college. Such advice and counsel shall include but not necessarily be limited to program priorities which underlie broad budget decisions of the college. The council shall not advise on budget allocations of specific departments, but its advisory function shall include such matters as general budget philosophy; leave practices of the college; salary averages; stipends for teaching assistants and research assistants; new college programs that require fiscal considerations; changes in existing priorities and programs that bear upon budget allocations; and general criteria for determining the distribution of new faculty positions in the college.
- The council shall identify problems that relate to faculty morale; communication of information within the college; and student–faculty relations.
- The council shall review nominations for standing committees in the spring. Nominations will come from the faculty and from the standing committees. Any council member may nominate further candidates.
- The council shall periodically review the standing and special committee structure of the college and may recommend to the faculty changes in existing structure, including the abolition or addition of committees or of procedures relating to faculty governance.
College Faculty Representatives
Theresa Lee, Dean (Chair)
Chuck Collins, Associate Dean
|Biochemistry, Cellular & Molecular Biology||Rebecca Prosser||2016-2019|
|Earth & Planetary Sciences||Devon Burr||2015-2018|
|Ecology & Evolutionary Biology||Mike Gilchrist||2014-2017|
|Geography||Yingkui “Phillip” Li||2016-2019|
|Modern Foreign Languages & Literatures||Harriet Bowden||2016-2019|
|Physics & Astronomy||Adriana Moreo||2016-2019|
|Political Science||Nate Kelly||2014-2017|
|Religious Studies||Helene Sinnreich||2016-2019|