The following guidelines apply to petitions written for Arts and Sciences requirements:
Foreign Language: No waiver. Students with documented learning disabilities must be reviewed by the Office of Disability Services to determine if a substitution is warranted. If Disability Services recommends a substitution, the student should be referred to Melissa M. Parker for appropriate course substitution. Sign language is not an option!
Natural Science A and B: Transfer students who have two lab science courses (i.e., Geology LD, and Chemistry 120) may petition to use the courses for Natural Science A even though the courses are not a sequence or a package. UT freshman and sophomores (non-transfers) must complete a full sequence of a lab science. These students have ample opportunity to fulfill the requirement as stated.
Social Science: Two departments must be represented.
Humanities: 1) Substitutions must be writing emphasis courses that can be documented with a syllabus or course description. BA students MUST have both a List A and List B course.
Non US History: US History is not acceptable except in the case of an international student who has not had US History in high school. If a graduating student is unable to complete a sequence because the required course is not being offered, the student may petition to take two courses from different sequences. The courses should be from different periods of History. For example, History 241 matched with Africana Studies 236.
Upper Level Distribution: 1) Substitutions must be writing emphasis courses. 2) A request to waive the European restriction if Western Civilization or Medieval Studies has been taken will be approved if it is a graduating senior problem. 3) Substitutions will be considered for students who cannot schedule courses and are trying to graduate.
Petitions concerning major requirements must have departmental approval prior to coming to Advising Services. Petitions received at the counter not having departmental approval will be logged into the database and then forwarded to the department. Petitions approved in the department regarding major requirements may not be delivered to Arts & Science Advising Service via the student.
- 120 total hours required for a BS or BA degree is never waived!
- 42 upper division hours: Waiver of this rule is rarely granted, especially if the student has elective hours remaining to reach their 120 (or 124) hour total.
- 60 hours at a four-year college and is never waived.
- 60 hour Honors Residency is never waived.
- 30-hours of final credit at UT Knoxville: Requests are considered based on extenuating circumstances and only if the student has completed at least 30 hours at UT Knoxville (i.e., if the student is graduating and has been unable to schedule a class at UT and the course is available at Pellissippi State). The rule is waived for students who have studied abroad during their last 30 hours. NOTE: If a student is earning his or her last required hours at an institution other than UT Knoxville, the credit may not arrive at UT in time for graduation. The student will then be eligible to graduate during the term following the enrollment in the transfer institution.
- 2.0 graduation GPA is never waived.
- “C” in all courses counted toward the major may only be waived with the major department’s approval. Most departments do not allow “D”s to be petitioned to count in the major. A “C-” can only count in the major if it is approved by petition.
- Complete all information on the petition including advisor’s signature.
- Note what catalog year is being used. This is critical since the substitution is entered into DARS by catalog year.
- Always request a course description for LD and UD courses. The description should be attached to the petition. If the course is a “special topics” course involving variable content, the syllabus will be required.
- First state the substitution or waiver request, then add other pertinent information and rationale. Example: Waive 1 hour of the upper division 42-hour rule. Student is carrying 18 hours fall term and has completed all other requirements for graduation in December.
- Include other courses being used to complete the requirement. Example: Allow Biology LD, 4 semester hours, grade A, taken at Roane State Community College to count toward Natural Science Part A requirement. Student will complete the package with Biology 102.
- All quarter courses must be petitioned in order to be entered manually into DARS.
- Petitions do not alter the transcript.
- Transfer courses must be listed on the transcript before requesting a substitution or petition.
- Students requesting accommodations in the curriculum based on a documented learning disability should be referred to Melissa Parker.
- Include the full name of the course as written on the academic history when writing a petition.
- Important: Petitions that are not completed (missing the catalog year, major, concentration, etc.) cannot be keyed into DARS.
June 13, 2011